Sunday, July 15, 2012

an ode to naptime

I can tell by that look in your eyes
that you are way past tired.
Then starts the kicking and screaming 
which shows that soon you'll be mired.
In a nap of gigantic proportions
that you shall refresh and renew.

Then you'll stop crying
for a moment or two.
 And daddy will think,
"she's done, she's through."
 This illusion is never quite true. 

Now she is wailing and fighting it more. 

Don't defy it, dear. Ca-pit-u-late!
You'll wake up later
Feeling so great.
and ready to play, bounce and run.

When you're well-rested,
I promise my dear,
you'll have way, way, way much more fun.
But no, you just fight it
and won't ever go easy.
I guess that's just how you are. 

Secretly I am so proud that you don't give in easy
you'll need that later in life.
I have to remember that your protestations
are actually useful strife. 

But it's true that some days 
I wish it were true 
that you were a bit narcoleptic.

And just went to sleep
or did what we told.
Without getting so apoplectic. 


(Oh no! no more time for editing this- she's up!!!!)



No comments:

Post a Comment