Friday, June 29, 2012

Why? Why not!

Motivation has been studied by many learned people over the years. To me, it is a maddening phenomenon. What makes some people intrinsically motivate to succeed, or at least to attempt something new? How does extrinsic motivation, well, motivate people? If we are told to complete a task for some cash, we are motivated but still may not be able to fufill the job. Hmmmm. I mean if the promise of some benjamins does not motive for success, what will? 

Today, I got some motivation to create a new sport/game that was both intrinsic (I'm gonna do this!) and extrinsic (Kim asked me to help her pile moldy food onto the compost heap we keep out back). 

As vacation time approaches, Kim has been very good about getting all perishable foods out of the house so we do not have foul, rotting nastiness to return to. Today, as is not usually the case, Kim was disposing of some flour and corn tortillas of varying sizes. I was motivated to see how well I could throw them like frisbees. Just for the record, I was not promised any moola as motivation- just by curiosity, I suppose. 

I am pleased to report that launching the mid-size flour tortillas was extremely satisfying and my range was quite good. The small flour ones were also quite fun to toss into the stratosphere. Sadly, for the Iowa farmers who will want to mass-produce genetically-altered corn for making tortilla frisbees, those made of maize were terrible and ripped in half just as I threw them. Unfortunately, they were not the only thing that ripped as I am scheduled for reconstructive rotator cuff surgery tomorrow.  Oh well, at least Kim will have to do all the driving this summer!

1 comment:

  1. Maize-based projectiles always get a bad rap.

    ReplyDelete