Sunday, June 10, 2012

A lightning strike

I do not know much about Charleston, S.C. My uncle was stationed there in the Navy. There is the Citadel and Major Anderson and his boys got a rude Confederate awakening in April 1861. Apart from that I know virtually nothing.

Kim and I went to Charleston about three weeks after we met. She bamboozled me into driving the whole distance ("You start out driving and I'll drive the second half."), we almost ran out of gas and, other than that, nothing noteworthy happened on the way.

Once we got to Charleston, we did all of the touristy stuff like the downtown Market, strolling the esplanade looking at the beautiful  houses and taking a boat ride to the fort that was bombed by the rebels that April morning.

The second night we were there we ate at a nondescript seafood restaurant in Mount Pleasant, right next to Charleston. We had fun laughing, being silly, and talking about who knows what. What stands out about this trip and in particular that night is that I knew that I had met the most wonderful woman in the world and that I wanted to spend my life with her. There is no explaining it- it was just meant to be.


1 comment:

  1. I remember this...well, not this in particular, but I remember when you told the crew you were getting married. You said something along the lines of: we both know this is just right. We have been places and done things on our own and we know this is what we both want.

    What romance stories are all about, love at first sight.

    ReplyDelete