Wednesday, June 27, 2012

3122 Tennyson St.

Below is a picture of the house I was raised in. This picture is from 1937. Apparently "khiramaddie" is selling these on EBAY for $9.99 each (link below). I'll give it to you for free! 

My parent's house is the middle one. If you look carefully at the house on the left, there is a silhouette of a woman in the bedroom above the front door. Also note the black poodle to the left of their walkway. My bedroom (middle house) was top right. My parents demolished that wall in the early 1980s. When my brother and I sold the house in 2005, the owner rebuilt the wall.

The background story goes like this: In 1937, FDR nominated Hugo Black for the Supreme Court, but his congressional approval was in doubt because he had been in the KKK. He gave a CBS radio speech from our (well, not ours then) house, which explained his KKK connection. He was confirmed by the senate. He was friends with the owner of the house at that time. 

I got interested in this because the ancient twins (who were alcoholics) who lived next door (that lady in the silhouette is one of them), told my dad that Hugo Black was sworn in at our house. I got interested and the Library of Congress had a bunch of info. That's where the photo comes from that the person is selling on EBAY.






http://www.ebay.com/itm/1937-photo-Scene-Black-broadcast-Washington-D-/250610619006

3 comments:

  1. Wow. Strange to see that old photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is another one of the inside, and a video.

      Delete
  2. You really can find anything on the internet....

    ReplyDelete