Saturday, August 25, 2012

Histingorance


When I was young and ignorant, my parents entrusted my early skoolin' to nuns who wore silly outfits teachers. I am grateful to this because it gave me a lifelong love of learning. I have always found history fascinating and have read a lot about American history. I do not pretend to know everything, however, and here an example to showcase my ignorance:
 
With a contentious election season upon us, I feel the need to re-visit one of the more acid-tongued debate seasons of all time: The Linoln-Douglas debates. Nasty, nasty stuff. Who could forget that time Douglas accused Lincoln of telling a lie? Or when apparently not-so-honest Abe told Douglas that his initals (S.D.) really stood for "Stupendous Doofus?" The gloves were off and mud was being flung from Central Park to the Dakota territories.

Let's fast forward a bit. Lincoln won, the Civil War erupted and he was re-elected. His love for the theatre, however, proved his undoing and, well, the rest is history as they say.

So let's recap some of Mr. Lincoln's accomplishments:

1. Somewhat honest
2. Great emancipator
3. Leader during the Civil War
4. Lawyer
5. Proud native of Kentucky
6. Tall

Pretty impressive, right? I have uncovered evidence that shows this list is incomplete- here are two new vocations to add to the pantheon of greatness that is Abe Lincoln:



Dayan Viciedo and Brad Lincoln - Chicago White Sox v Toronto Blue Jays 
 
 
 
He was indeed a talented man.

No comments:

Post a Comment